Friday, December 4, 2009

Feeling an impact



I have been writing the dyslexic storytellers blog for the past two years for mostly my own sense of self recognition and self respect - perhaps a little bit of pure need for release of frustrations relating to dyslexia.  During that time I have had a view calls  from people who are parents of dyslexic children and that has been exciting.   Mostly because I care so much and secondly the assumption that the average American starts off with about the meaning of the words dyslexia, learning disabilities and schooling boggle my mind.

Recently I received two calls that have forced me to stop and examine my goals for this blog.  One is an invitation to attend the Diamonds in the Rough conference in Washington D.C. to be interviewed on some of the topics I have written about here on the blog.   The 2nd call is from the editor of one of the most commonly used special ed text books in university settings who shall remain nameless for the moment.   She had some questions - The point is this blog is having a bigger impact then I realized and so I am going to think about how I can refocus and redouble my work for the immediate future - I want to move beyond questioning the approach to dyslexia in modern society - I want to find a new approach - I want to move away from issues of integration of dyslexic students and examine how dyslexic students can live in modern society as themselves.

What does it mean to be dyslexic and not be limited by it?
What does it mean to grow up never feeling stupid or side lined?
How have people who are dyslexic found happiness in this world?

In faith that there are answers...

Eric Wolf

2 comments:

Connecting Stories said...

What does it mean to be dyslexic and not be limited by it?

This is a huge important question...how we answer this for dyslexia can be said about every perceived limitation.

although too old to have been diagnosed and helped when I was young, I know that I have been tried but not limited by my dyslexia. And I wonder if that lack of help was a bad or a good thing?


Big questions Eric and I know there are some good answers to live out in the world.

reading said...

I am not sure if this is the spot I should be writing to,,, I am 75 years old, I have always been Dyslexic. I would like to tell my story. I have never been able to read... At twelve, my teachers sent me to work in a box factory because I couldn't learn. It was a time before the word was invented. There was ten in our family. Even today my family don't know of the life problems i've had...